Sunglasses are worn every day by many people due to their aesthetic and health benefits. At EyeWest Vision Clinic & Optical, our experienced and qualified optometrist focuses on improving your quality of life by correcting and protecting your vision. When you visit our clinics in Rogers and St. Michael, MN will provide a range of eye care services, including helping you select the perfect pair of sunglasses.
Benefits of Wearing Sunglasses
Sunglasses are not just another accessory in the closet worn to complement your outfit and make a fashion statement. Wearing sunglasses has been proven to be good eye health care practice. Some of the benefits of wearing sunglasses include:
- Protecting your eyes from direct ultraviolet light can harm the essential parts of your eyes like the cornea, retina, lens, and eyelids.
- Preventing the skin around your eyes from rapid aging.
- Preventing squinting, resulting in an enhanced and comfortable vision.
- Shielding eyes against "blue light" from the solar spectrum, preventing eyes from macular degeneration caused by blue light.
When to Wear Sunglasses
Most people wear sunglasses during the summer when the sun shines the brightest. However, harmful UV rays are present year-round. Wearing sunglasses is highly beneficial in the following situations:
- While on the beach or traveling by water
- Immediately after, specific eye treatments to protect the eyes from direct sunlight
- When your eyes are exposed to bright light, e.g. when driving towards the sun
Factors to Consider when Buying Sunglasses
Choosing a pair of sunglasses can be a daunting task due to the variety of options available. The qualities that you should look for in a good pair of shades include:
- Full-spectrum protection: Your sunglasses should have maximum UV protection ability.
- Frame type: Frames with a wraparound style give improved peripheral vision and minimize UV exposure.
- Polarization: Polarized lenses minimize glare for more comfortable eyesight.
- Lens size: Larger sunglasses are more fashionable and have greater visual coverage.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Optometrist for New Sunglasses in Rogers and St. Michael, MN
If you are looking for a new pair of sunglasses in Rogers or St. Michael, MN, contact EyeWest Vision Clinic & Optical today. Call our Rogers clinic at (763) 428-3757 or our St. Michael clinic at (763) 497-3754 for more information on the benefits of wearing sunglasses or to schedule an appointment with our eye doctor.